Nevada STEM Networks
In order to increase student, school, family, and business engagement in STEM in diverse communities throughout Nevada, the Governor's Office of Science, Innovation and Technology (OSIT) has created three regional STEM Networks. Networks in Southern, Northwestern, and Rural Nevada will coordinate partners representing K-12 and Higher Education, business, industry, public libraries, after-school providers, non-profits, government, and philanthropy to identify and scale up high-quality STEM programs that will prepare students for Nevada’s 21st century workforce. OSIT's STEM staff will oversee these efforts in the three regions.
Each Regional Network has organized an Advisory Committee made up of STEM stakeholders living in the region. Each Advisory Committee has developed a strategic plan to advance STEM education in the region. Subcommittees in each region will work to advance equity in STEM, availability of high-quality STEM education, and awareness of STEM opportunities in the region. Network Advisory Committees will work with OSIT to award small grants to promote STEM or fund the creation or expansion of high-quality STEM programs. Regional Advisory Committees will meet regularly and meetings are open to the public.
The overarching goals of the three Regional STEM Networks are to:
- Increase the number and quality of formal and informal STEM-focused education programs in all communities in Nevada.
- Increase student awareness, interest, enrollment, and achievement in formal and informal STEM-focused education programs.
- Grow the number and depth of school-business-community STEM partnerships.
The three Regional STEM Networks will also:
- Identify on-the-ground programmatic gaps or implementation challenges in need of a state-level solution.
- Grow interest, awareness, and achievement in STEM in the region.
- Carry out on-the-ground implementation of state-level programs/goals.
- Identify and build local programs and initiatives worthy of scaling statewide.
- Create and facilitate partnerships and the sharing of resources among K-12, higher education, and business/industry within the region.
The Regional STEM Networks seek to fund the pilot, expansion, or scaling of innovative STEM initiatives that move each region toward their goals. Each year, each network requests applications for funding, offering up to $50,000 per region.
Read about previously funded projects here.
Sign up for the STEM Hub newsletter to receive alerts when the next round of STEM Network grants opens.
Submit any questions regarding the grants to:
Northwestern/Rural Regions: T.Howard@gov.nv.gov
Southern Region: Ldziminski@gov.nv.gov