The NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing (AiC) honors women in grades 9 through 12 who are active and interested in computing and technology, and encourages them to pursue their passions. Award for AiC recipients are chosen for their demonstrated interest and achievements in computing, proven leadership ability, academic performance, and plans for post‑secondary education. To date, nearly 8,600 women have been honored with the Award for AiC.
Any U.S. woman in grades 9 through 12 is eligible to apply and will be considered for both the National and Affiliate Award, if she also meets all of the following criteria:
- She is 13 years of age or older at time of account creation.
- She is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who attends school in the U.S. or is a U.S. citizen attending school in Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or on a U.S. overseas military base.
- She has a U.S. Tax Identification or Social Security Number.
- She is not an NCWIT employee and has no immediate family relationship with employees, extended staff, contractors or board members of NCWIT (including spouses, siblings, children, grandchildren, and persons residing in the same household).
Applicants must first create or update an aspirations.org account here.
Then, students can apply online, beginning September 1, 2017 and no later than 11:59 p.m. Hawaii Standard Time (HST) on November 6, 2017.
The application includes several short essays and multiple-choice sections:
- You may want to review the application Application Step-by-Step Guide.
The NCWIT Award for AiC is sponsored by Apple, Bank of America, Microsoft, Motorola Solutions Foundation, and Symantec.