How will YOU celebrate Computer Science Education Week this year??
Districts and organizations throughout Nevada are holding Hour of Code celebrations at schools and businesses.
The State Department of Education is celebrating with a statewide CS video competition for all K-12 students.
WATCH video contest PSA here: https://ccsdcontest.eduvision.tv/
Video competition flyer: click here
The theme of the competition is:
Why is Computer Science Important For Me to Learn?
In our world of self-driving cars, robots, artificial intelligence, and smart phones...who better to answer this question than our youth!
Video Competition Information:
Who: ALL K-12 students in Nevada - three categories to compete in (Elementary, Middle, and High) and up to three members per team allowed
What: Video competition explaining why computer science is important for students to learn today
When: Competition begins December 3, 2018 and ends March 31, 2019 (* no LATE submissions will be accepted)
How: Follow the simple registration/submission steps below:
- STEP #1 - Complete this registration form so you can receive timely updates throughout the contest: https://goo.gl/forms/5M6oILCWwHgGGgiZ2
- STEP #2 - Get some friends together, write a script, film your video PSA on Why Computer Science is important for students to learn today.
- STEP #3 - With a teacher's help, download and complete the submission form below and upload your submission form and video file to this portal: https://ccsdcontest.eduvision.tv/ NOTE: your video file must meet the requirements below or it will be disqualified. Submission tutorial videos available at the contest link - Submission Form: http://bit.ly/2019SubmissionForm
- STEP #4 - Judging in each category will take place in early April (results from industry judging will count for 75% of your overall score): Contest rubric: http://bit.ly/CScontestRubric
- STEP #5 - Get your friends and family to VOTE for your entry (public polls will count for 25% of your overall score)
- STEP #6 - Attend awards ceremony to see if your video won (late April / early May - actual date TBD and posted here)
VIDEO SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
Contest Rubric: http://bit.ly/CScontestRubric
- Video must be between 60 - 75 seconds total (including intro slides)
- Video must have a title slide and credits slide
- Video format: mp4 preferred for best quality
- Teacher must retain signed video consent forms on file for all students in video (use your standard district forms). Must provide upon request.
- Teacher must complete the registration form and submission form on behalf of the students
- Create your video as though it were being shown with movie theater previews!! High quality, succinct content, and have FUN!!!
SOME OF THE PRIZES INCLUDE:
- Rocketbook and assorted pens
- Vex Robotics Kit
- Evo App-Connected Coding Robot
- and MORE!
If you have any questions about this competition, please reach out to Cindi Chang at email@example.com
Computer Science Education Week is an annual program dedicated to inspiring K-12 students to take interest in computer science. Hour of Code activities typically take place during this week. CSEdWeek is held the first week in December in recognition of the birthday of computing pioneer Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (December 9, 1906).